We all know that dogs are highly intelligent animals, capable of astonishing us with their actions, skill, and logic. It is not an intelligence comparable to that of humans, although sometimes they exceed it, it must be said, that is why we have created this simple intelligence test for dogs.
Remember that there are breeds of dogs that are more intelligent than others simply because of genetics, although it is good to remember that the most intelligent dogs are those that have been well socialized, educated, and stimulated from puppies.
Dare you to take our canine intelligence test? If the results are not what you expected, don’t worry. A dog is a life partner, it is enough that he gives us his affection and respect, it is not necessary that he be Einstein. However, it can be very fun and interesting to take the test.
How to know if a dog is intelligent: CANINE TEST
We are going to carry out a series of tests that will indicate the level of intelligence of our dogs. These tests should be done when the dog is calm, ideally in a quiet place where other dogs or noises will not distract him.
This simple intelligence test tries to measure our dog’s cognitive abilities, his attention and his initiative to solve problems. In short, it shows how smart a dog is.
To carry out the tests you will only need a toy for your dog, some dog biscuits (or food in general, something that he likes a lot) and a clock or timer to measure the time it takes your dog to perform the tests.
1st Test: Order your dog to sit down and in front of him place some food UNDER his food bowl or feeder. Give him the order to eat and time the time.
- If your dog took less than 10 seconds to eat food: 5 points
- If your dog has taken between 11 and 30 seconds to eat food: 4 points
- If your dog has taken between 31 and 60 seconds to eat food: 3 points
- If your dog has taken more than 60 seconds to eat food: 1 point
2nd Test: Throw a toy of your dog in a corner of your house and order him to look for it and bring it to you. Meanwhile, run to hide behind the curtain in a different room, that he does not see you hide. Keep quiet and without making noise.
- If your dog took less than 30 seconds to find you: 5 points
- If your dog took between 31 and 60 seconds to find you: 4 points
- If it took your dog between 61 and 90 seconds to find you: 3 points
- If your dog took more than 91 seconds to find you: 1 points
3rd Test: Take some food and put it wrapped in a cloth or towel, with a couple of turns is enough you do not need to tie a knot or something impossible. Do it in front of your dog and when you finish, order him to eat.
- If your dog took less than 40 seconds to get his food: 5 points
- If your dog took between 41 and 60 seconds to get his food: 4 points
- If your dog took between 61 and 100 seconds to get his food: 3 points
- If your dog took more than 101 seconds to get his food: 1 points
4th Test: Put some food on the ground in front of your dog. Now cover your dog with a towel, trying to get his head and part of his body completely covered. Then give him the order to eat.
- If your dog took less than 20 seconds to get his food: 5 points
- If your dog took between 21 and 40 seconds to get his food: 4 points
- If your dog took between 41 and 60 seconds to get his food: 3 points
- If your dog has taken more than 61 seconds to get his food: 1 points
5th Test: Show your dog some food and take him out of the room. Drag the food on the ground a bit so that the smell tells your dog where to hide it. Hide the food and let your dog in, give him the order to search and eat.
- If your dog took less than 60 seconds to get his food: 5 points
- If your dog took between 61 and 100 seconds to get his food: 4 points
- If your dog took between 101 and 160 seconds to get his food: 3 points
- If your dog took more than 161 seconds to get his food: 1 point
Results of the test according to the score obtained in the intelligence test
Now comes the time to know the results of the tests carried out on your dog, based on the score obtained your dog will be more or less intelligent. Remember that you must add the score of the five previous tests to be able to measure your score.
- Between 21 and 25 points: Congratulations !! Your puppy is a genius.
- Between 16 and 20 points: Congratulations !! Your dog has above-average intelligence.
- Between 10 and 15 points: Great !! Your puppy is of average canine intelligence.
- Less than 10 points: Bravo !! Your dog will not be an engineer, but he sure has a big heart.
Did you like the results? Remember that it doesn’t really matter how smart your dog is, nor the results of this intelligence test, what really matters is how much you love him and how much he loves you. A dog is never going to be a graduate, don’t worry if your score has come out a little low.
This intelligence test has no scientific basis, it is a pleasant way to have a good time with our dog and measure its abilities. The intelligence of a dog is actually comparable to that of a three or four-year-old human, but its memory is far superior.